Australasian Merkel Cell Carcinoma Interest Group (AMIGOs) is a network of specialists across Australia and New Zealand.
AMIGOs was established in 2017 in response to growing interest in the field, with the aim of bringing together clinicians and researchers from across different specialties to facilitate discussion around how to improve treatment and care of patients with Merkel Cell Carcinoma. AMIGOs is a Priority Research Special Interest group of Melanoma and Skin Cancer Trials Ltd, Australian and New Zealand’s collaborative trials group specialising in investigator-initiated melanoma and skin cancer research. To find out more, visit masc.org.au.
The AMIGOs network includes Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Surgical Oncology, Pathology, Genetics, Imaging and Laboratory-based research, who are all interested in enhancing care for patients with Merkel Cell Carcinoma.
The AMIGOs goals are to:
- Educate health care providers, patients and carers
- Engage primary care in order to optimise patient referral
- Empower patient advocacy
- Support basic, translational and clinical research on Merkel Cell Carcinoma
- Facilitate enrolment in and support completion of high quality trials
- Engage industry, government and other funders to support Merkel Cell Carcinoma patient care