It's AMIGOs mission to help speed up the referral process so patients can receive the necessary diagnosis and care.

How do I find a specialist in Merkel Cell Carcinoma?

Australasian Merkel Cell Carcinoma Interest Group (AMIGOs) specialists represent major oncology units across Australia and New Zealand.

If you are diagnosed with Merkel Cell Carcinoma, it is important you ask your skin specialist or GP to refer you to a specialist working in this specialty area.

You can also contact for a list of Merkel Cell Carcinoma specialists in your area.

AMIGOs are working to increase their reach to primary care. It is our mission to improve the speed of referral and access to care for patients.

Types of Specialist

A multidisciplinary approach to evaluation and care of patients with MCC is critical. Proper Management of MCC almost always involves several of the following medical specialist doctors:


A Dermatologist has undergone special training in the diagnosis and treatment of skin diseases and cancers of the skin. They may be involved in the diagnosis of your cancer including a biopsy, as well as ongoing follow-up and checking that there are no new suspicious lesions on your skin.

Surgical Oncologist

A Surgical Oncologist has special interest and training in cancer surgery. They may perform a biopsy (removal of tissue) to diagnose cancer and/or they may remove the tumour and nearby tissue during surgery.

Radiation Oncologist

A Radiation Oncologist uses radiation therapy (also called radiotherapy) to cure or reduce the symptoms of cancer.

Medical Oncologist

A Medical Oncologist manages patients with cancer and treats them using chemotherapy or other medications, such as targeted therapy or immunotherapy.